Monday, May 21, 2012

No Heat Transition Styles.

So you want to go natural but don't know where to start.

There are two ways: Cut all of your relaxed ends off immediately or grow your natural hair out to a length you are comfortable with. Either way, it will involve cutting your ends off. Many people choose to grow their hair out and cut when they feel comfortable, which is considered 'transitioning'. This is the method I chose. That could be anywhere from 2 months to 2-3 years. I transitioned for 11 months. Even if you choose to wait to cut off your relaxed ends, you still have to protect and preserve your natural hair. Weaves, wigs, and extensions are an option, but they shouldn't be the only protective styles you use.

Kinky/Curly hair can be fragile and heat often damages it. There are many beautiful styles you can do without heat. I found a few video tutorials for basic styles for people with relaxed ends. 

Hope these help!

Helpful Tips for Transitioners:
MUST WATCH!
 



For Short/Medium Length Hair:

Braid-Out
 

Twist'N'Curl


Bantu Knots:



Long Hair:
All of the above styles can be applied to longer hair using the same methods.


Sorry! Couldn't get the video to post but here is the link to a braid out for longer hair. It is similar to my method during my transitioning period.
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK_JV53Aizc&feature=fvst



I wish I would have documented my transition period, but I didn't. Here are some pics that I did come across for styles without heat. Please excuse the bad phone lighting and awkward poses.


Flat Braid-out: 5-7 flat braids to the back of the head. I spritzed hair with water, added Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, and sealed with oil (olive, castor, and/or jojoba).


Twist-out: Same method as above, but with flat twists. Flat twists and two strand twists were not a good transition style for me because my ends always came loose. Adding rollers at the end is a great idea!

Roller Set: I didn't do this myself, but there are tutorials on how to roller set hair.




No comments:

Post a Comment