Thursday, July 5, 2012

Current Protective Style: Yarn Braids


Yarn Braids/Genie Locs

$5.87. That cost includes 6% tax. I bought 2 bundles of Red Heart Super Saver Yarn. I used 1 1/2 bundles. I used 3 strands of yarn for each braid. There are many YouTube tutorials on installing the braids. It took me 13 hours.

I wanted to try these braids for over a year ago. I had watched a few YouTube videos, but never got around to making the dream a reality.

I needed a long term protective style and decided this would be the perfect opportunity.


I started by washing my hair. I also conditioned my hair and added a leave in. I then finished with a mixture of oils to seal my hair. Most people deep condition but I only plan to keep them in for a month.

After installing the braids, I wet them with hot water in the shower. I burned the ends as I went and made sure to layer the length. They are mid-back length.


I spritz with a mixture of water, leave-in conditioner, and olive oil every 3-4 days. I add oil to them in the mean time, in between time.

Overall I am pleased with them. They aren't too heavy and are pretty easy to maintain. The braids give me a different look. Plus, it looks like I have locs. I have been playing with the idea of having locs for a while.  I love my hair free, so it is a struggle to keep them in.

Let me know if you try the style and how you like it!





6 comments:

  1. First off I want to say there gorgeous! And I wanted to ask how do I achieve the layers? could you explain step by step if possible? Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did love this style! I

      To achieve layers:

      I'm referring to the first picture that is on this post.

      1. Each time I finished a row of yarn braids, I split it with half of the yarn braids in that row one shoulder and half on the other shoulder, as seen in the first picture.

      2. I would burn the ends evenly on each shoulder, making sure to also be even with the other shoulder.

      3. I repeated that process for 5-6 rows.

      4. After 5-6 rows, I would repeat the same process but burn the next section (5-6 rows) a little higher than the previous section. I would burn the ends no higher than 1/2 an inch. If you burn them too much higher it will look choppy.

      5. I did that until I was finished and added bangs to the top section.

      I hope that was a detailed explanation for you! I also hope it makes sense. I really wish I had pictures to correspond to each step.

      Delete
  2. Your description was detailed enough. Thanks so much for the advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great. I'm curious as to why you chose to use yarn instead of synthetic hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this look! I'm definitely going to try it out. Thank you for posting. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lololove,,,am gonna try it! good stuff!

    ReplyDelete